The Ultimate Fighter Fridays Episode 1 Recap
Welcome to the End of the Weak. The 16th season of the Ultimate Fighting Championship® organization’s famed reality television show kicked off Friday evening on FX, as 16 of the most talented unsigned welterweight (170 lbs) fighters took their first step towards achieving their dream of receiving a six-figure contractwith the UFC®.
In the exciting two-hour premiere of The Ultimate Fighter® Fridays, viewers were treated to 16 exciting fights, previously taped at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, as 32 fighters vied for a coveted spot on the series. The winners, now official cast members, earned their way into The Ultimate Fighter® house where cameras documented their activity in and out of the Octagon® over a span of six weeks.
The series resumes next Friday, September 20, on FX at 10 p.m. ET/PT (check local listings for Central and Mountain Time) with the second episode of its 12-week run.
Below are the premiere episode match-ups and results:
- Dom Waters d. Kevin Nowaczyk – TKO, 1rd, 0:32
- Michael Hill d. Lev Magen – TKO, 1rd, 1:27
- Bristol Marunde d. George Lockhart – Sub (via guillotine), 1rd, 2:23
- Mike Ricci d. Jason South – TKO, 1rd, 1:50
- Julian Lane d. Diego Bautista – Unanimous decision
- Igor Araujo d. Cortez Coleman – Sub (via triangle choke), 3rd (victory round), 3:16
- James Chaney d. Jerel Clark – Sub (via triangle choke), 1rd, 1:30
- Cameron Diffley d. Zane Kamaka – Sub (via armbar), 1rd, 1:37
- Neil Magny d. Frank Camacho – Unanimous decision
- Jon Manley d. Ricky Legere, Jr. – Unanimous decision
- Colton Smith d. Jesse Barrett – Unanimous decision
- Matt Secor d. Max Griffin – Sub (via triangle choke), 3rd (victory round), 2:55
- Eddy Ellis d. David Michaud – Sub (via arm triangle), 2rd, 4:29
- Joey Rivera d. Saad Awad – Majority decision
- Nic Herron-Webb d. Tim Rubert – Sub (via armbar), 1rd, 4:17
- Sam Alvey d. Leo Kuntz – TKO, 1rd, 0:47
Following the elimination fights, viewers watched as coach of Team Carwin, former UFC interim heavyweight champion, Shane Carwin and coach of Team Nelson, TUF™ season 10 winner, Roy Nelson selected their teams. The first overall pick was Alvey, chosen by Carwin, while Nelson’s first pick was also a winner by TKO, Waters. Below are the complete team breakdowns (in order of selection):
Team Carwin (Twitter handles)
- Sam Alvey @Smilensam
- Bristol Marunde @bristolmarunde
- Mike Ricci @MikeyRicci
- Neil Magny @neilmagny
- James Chaney @jameschaneymma
- Eddy Ellis @fasteddyellis
- Igor Araujo @igoraraujojj
- Matt Secor @secormatthew
- Dom Waters @shonuff89
- Michael Hill @mmamike
- Cameron Diffley @camerondiffley
- Colton Smith @coltonsmithmma
- Jon Manley @jonmanleymma
- Nic Herron-Webb @NaptimeNic
- Joey Rivera @joeyboomboom
- Julian Lane @julianlanemma
Photo credit: Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC – The cast of The Ultimate Fighter® Fridays.
For more show information, bios, videos and photos, visit ultimatefighter.com and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter under our new name @TUFonFX or on Facebook.com/TUF.