CageJunkies Exclusive: Nitro MMA 6 Recap
MMA hit Logan hard on Saturday the 7th of July with a great night of fights put on by Nitro MMA. It was the organisations sixth event and showcased exactly what Queensland MMA has to offer. The Logan Entertainment Centre was pretty much sold out for the event which saw the crowning of the very first Nitro MMA Welterweight champion.
From start to finish the fights were entertaining and there was not a dull moment all night. Every fight was finished (although some came close to points) and every fighter left everything that they had inside the cage. With no fights lasting the distance the card was not shy of some great TKO and submission moments however a stunning knockout from Alex MacDonald was certainly one of the highlights of the night.
Undefeated Seventeen year old Tyler Manawaroa extended his current win streak to seven wins inside the cage after taking apart fight veteran Jon Leven. Tyler took Leven down with ease and let his skills shine on the ground. Some fierce elbows ended the fight in the very first round and many think that Tyler’s next step is to be the first challenger for the newly crowned Welterweight champion.
In an entertaining slugfest Julz the Jackal needed to finish the fight to win. Although he would have scored well on the cards he was deducted a point in the second round for grabbing the cage after being warned several times. Julz and Jacob put on a hell of a show and Jacob showed a great chin withstanding a lot of heavy punches from Jackal. After the fight Julz suggested that he wanted to fight for a title with Nitro so watch this space for a possible title fight featuring the self proclaimed Pub Brawler.
Heartbreak came for crowd favourite Benny “Knuckles” Mortimer as he was submitted with just six seconds left of the second round. Ian Bone showed his dominance on the ground and was able to keep Benny subdued for most of the second round. Mortimer came close to finishing the fight in the first round however Bone just kept on coming forward. Bone showed some great wrestling skills and certainly put a target on his own back as the one to beat in Australia’s toughest division.
Nitro MMA returns to Logan for their seventh show which is slated for October 21st and anybody in the Brisbane area should certainly get their tickets early because once again Nitro will be sure to put on a solid card for the fans!
- 63kg: Mitch Mallett def. Liam Harley via Submission (Armbar) 2:45 Round 1
- 84kg: Ricardo Zamora def. Chris Baker via Submission (Anklelock) Round 2
- 62kg: Shantaram Maharaj def. Greg Penaloza via Submission (Heel hook) 4:37 Round 2 CAGEJUNKIES.COM SOTN
- 68kg: Adrian Rodriguez def. Stuart Ashby via Submission Round 2
- 62kg: Matt George def. Daniel Condon via Submission (RNC) Round 2
- 73kg: Alex MacDonald def. Andrew Morris via KO (Punch) 1:08 Round 1 CAGEJUNKIES.COM KOTN
- 70kg: Gokhan Turkyilmaz def. Kris Spence via TKO 2:20 Round 3
- 79kg: Tyler Manawaroa def. Jon Leven via TKO 4:02 Round 1
- CO MAIN EVENT – 62kg: Julz The Jackal def. Jacob Mahony via TKO 4:40 Round 3 CAGEJUNKIES.COM FOTN
- MAIN EVENT – 77kg: Ian Bone def. Benny Mortimer via Submission (RNC) 4:54 Round 2 – Nitro MMA Welterweight Championship